5 Jan 2013

Peeling Garlic the Easiest Way.


What is it about these small pips of natural goodness? They are sublime whether sauteed in oil with minced spring onions (an idea from Express Teppanyaki), roasted by cloves with chicken in the oven, or spread with butter and sea salts on fresh sliced baguettes. The delicious ways of garlic is innumerable.

But when it comes to the business of peeling, it's like the Herculean task of getting virginal prudes to take off their clothes at the doctor's examination room. What I needed here was the magical touch to make garlics eager to shed their skinny tight skins, not unlike enthusiastic red-blooded males when invited for skinny dipping be it may in a puddle. Yes, THAT eager.

In my years of garlic peeling, I've peeled them delicately with practiced fingertips. What painstaking work! I've also crushed them with the sides of my knife and I can tell you that I am NOT fond of this maneuver. Visions of me skinning my hands Apache style (perhaps scalping is more accurate) as I attempt to peel speedy Gonzales does not contribute an iota to my efficiency.

Then came a long a little golden nugget of a tip.

Soak the cloves in cold water for a few minutes. The peel slips off easily, leaving the whole clove intact.

So I set about this morning to try it out.

Soaking them in cold water.

And so I took a slice into the garlic.



 And happily the skin slipped off.


My verdict?

After a few minutes of soaking, using a sharp knife I found that their little skins slipped off in whole instead of tearing up into little measly bits. Yet, I did not like the idea of having to use cold water (prep time? puhhlease. A little wasteful too, no?) and annoyingly water kept dripping down my elbow. That could be more my graceless way of peeling than anything else. For the moment though, I agree this is an efficient way to peel garlic. But the most efficient way, ya think?

No comments:

Post a Comment