22 Jan 2012

Free Software to Use for Fashion Sketches.

For this sketch, I had used water colours.

For Bajou's first collection of summer wear for little girls (you can check that out in the links below), my sketches were all done by hand. In some of the sketches I painted the fabric in myself by copying the fabrics I had in mind for the design, in others I used colouring pencils, marker pens or even pastels.


I realised that there is a better and easier way of doing this, especially if I wanted to insert the real fabric that I will be using into my sketches. For that technique, I will share with you in the next posting.

After some research, I understand that many fashion designers and students use either the Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Illustrator. I find though that to purchase the original software is just very expensive - a cost that I would like to avoid for the moment until my business really takes off.

A screenshot of Paint.NET

I had asked my brother Imran if he could suggest a good free software that I could use, something sufficient for my sketching needs and to use while designing little graphics for Bajou's website. He recommended Paint.NET. Paint.NET is an open source software, which means that it is absolutely free, and constantly being developed and improved by a community of interested and passionate developers.

If you're familiar with Paintshop Pro, Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop. If you know how to work with layers and using the many tools that comes with most designing software, this would be an easy software to get familiar with.

If not, you can always learn. And they have ample tutorial for Paint.NET also a large forum of discussion where you can post questions you might have while using this software.

Have a look at what I am achieving at the moment with my current sketch using scanned pictures of fabrics for my collection.


The result of my recent work on Paint.NET using scanned images of real fabrics.

I hope that you too could achieve the same thing with your designs. Good luck!

Warm regards,
Alena

1 comment:

  1. Great beading patterns help you to take your hand made jewelry designs to the next level. When you first start out with beading or perhaps you purchase a beading kit for your child, patterns don't matter too much. You may be working with two or three colors and stringing them onto necklaces or bracelets in a very simple fashion.

    ReplyDelete