22 Aug 2011

Victoria Sponge Cake

The original cake with cream, fresh strawberries and raspberry jam.


This has to be the easiest, no-fail Victoria Sandwich cake to make. It is a pleasant and enjoyable cake to eat, though it will not arouse heights of orgasmic delight for the eater. It may however reward the baker with orgasmic pleasure due to simplicity of putting this cake together. Pour everything in, mix, mix, mix and voila it's ready to go into the oven.


The cake I baked for the iftar dinner.


I baked this cake and simplified it for my children's school iftar dinner . It disappeared before I could say 'Boo!' I had to omit the cream and fresh halved strawberries because of the tropical heat. Had it been a potluck I would have done exactly as the recipe stated. I am certain, the addition of cream and sweet fresh strawberries would bring one (baker and eater) to culinary climax.

Was it delicious for them? I have no idea, but to me, it is so worth to bake. A great cake for sewing meets, pot lucks and need I say again? School iftar dinners!


Muah,
Nina Rib Bib



Here's the simple recipe. Can't remember where I got this recipe from. A friend I believe.

Victoria Sponge Cake

Ingredients:
175 gms / 6oz self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
175 gms/6 0z butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
175 gms/6 oz golden caster sugar
3 large eggs
icing sugar, for dusting

Filling:
3 tsbp raspberry jam
300 ml/10 fl oz double cream, whipped
16 fresh strawberries, halved

Method:
Preheat the oven to 180 deg/cel/350 deg/fah/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line the bases of two 20cm/8 inch sandwich tins. Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl, then add the butter, sugar and eggs. Mix together, then beat well until smooth.

Divide the mixture evenly between the prepared tins ad smooth the surfaces. Bake in the preheated over for 25-30 minutes, or until well rises and golden brown, and the cakes feel springy when lightly pressed.

Leave to cool in the tins for five minutes, then turn out and peel off the lining paper. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Sandwich the cakes together with the raspberry jam, whipped double cream and strawberry halves. Dust with icing sugar and serve.

Serves 8

No comments:

Post a Comment