22 Aug 2011

Chocolate Moist Cake

Chocolate Cake using the second icing recipe.

I first baked this cake when I was 12 years old. I think I had taken it from a cooking chocolate wrapper not expecting much, just that it would turn out foolproof fine. The first bite of this cake and I was in heaven. Similar to the Filipino Moist Chocolate Cake, it is a light, soft cake (not dense like the usual butter cake) with the most yummy soft fudgy topping. Just like the ones my mom used to buy from La Manila.

But I found the icing a little tedious to make and difficult to ice onto the cake in a way that makes it presentable. Recently when I was baking it to bring to my children's school. I decided to try, what I thought was a simpler recipe. Simpler, especially in terms of icing it, looking good was of paramount importance when one is bringing a baked good to school. So I tried to make another fudge icing, it has less ingredients and is easy to make, but...but it requires at least two hours of cooling period in the fridge (the recipe states 1 hour, but in the weather that I am in, it took longer than that). It is a great recipe, but it is more of an icing-ish version than it is a fudgy one. So it all depends on your own preference.



I am copying out both here for you to choose and try. The first one is the one that comes with the original cake, the second icing i
s the one I recently tried. I didn't get to eat the cake as it disappeared within the blink of an eye, but while cooking it I can vouch that it tasted deliciously chocolatey. And yes, it is certainly easier to ice with this one.


Obviously I am no expert in cake icing, but it was good enough to be placed on the dessert buffet table. :)

Chocolate Moist Cake

Ingredients:
2 tbsp white vinegar
450 ml milk
420 ml/ 275 gms plain flour
100 gms cocoa powder
2 tsp bicarbonate soda
520 gms caster sugar
370 gms melted butter
1 tsp vanilla essence
4 eggs
pinch of salt

Method:
Firstly pour the vinegar into the milk and set aside. Whisk flour, cocoa, soda and salt together and set aside. Melt butter and cream with sugar until light and fluffy, add in the vanilla essence followed by the eggs one at a time. Once mixed well (be sure to scrape bowl consistently) add in the flour and milk alternately. Be sur to begin with the flour mixture and ending with the flour mixture. When adding the milk, add while machine is mixing and pour in a thin consistent stream - this prevents mixture from curdling. Then, place mixture in cake tin and it is ready to be baked.

Oven : 180 deg - 200 deg/cel
Baking time: 30-40 mins

Chocolate Topping (original recipe)

Ingredients:
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp nescafe
2 cups (1 tin) evaporated milk
1 cup condensed milk
1/4 flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp butter

Method:
Mix all the ingredients together except butter. Boil on low heat until thickens. Lastly add in the butter. Leave to cool. Then spread on cooled cake. Chill and serve. Absolutely delicious.

Chocolate Topping (alternative recipe)

Ingredients:
225 gms/8oz plain chocolate, broken into pieces
55 gms/2 oz dark muscovado sugar
225 gms/8 oz unsalted butter, diced
5 tbsp evaporated milk
1/2 tsp vanilla essence

Method:
Place the chocolate, muscovado sugar, butter, evaporated milk, and vanilla essence in a heavy-based saucepan. Heat gently, stirring constantly, until melted. Pour into a bowl and leave to cool Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour, or until spreadable.



No comments:

Post a Comment